first 'adult' bike for 12 year old

My daughter has outgrown her islabike (I know very spoilt) and is really tall enough for an adult bike ( 5ft 3 and growing daily). She isnt cycling nearly as much as she used to but next year we are hiring a campervan in Netherlands and Denmark so will be doing some cycling to the nearest shops, and from campsite into towns etc, prob max 5 miles per day. She also currently walks the 1.5miles each way to school but would like to cycle sometimes. She saw the pendleton somersby mint limited edition and fell in love with it. Personally i dont like the white tyres. Hubby is very anti the retro look and says they are fashion items only and would prefer to buy more of a touring/ treking bike with 21+ gears rather than the max 6-7 you get on the retro style bikes. He feels that you dont get value for money on the retro bikes. Our budget is up to 300. We have looked at the dawes duchess and I would love to buy a bobbin but really not sure about value for money. Any advice please?

From what you say your daughter will be doing, does she need the touring / trekking bike that her Dad would like her to have? The retro bikes are definitely 'fashion' items and you are paying for the look - but if she loves it, would she be more likely to ride it, therefore making it better value for money than a bike with more gears which she doesn't love and ride as much?
    Girls dropping out of sport because they don't look nice doing it is such a huge problem, maybe a stylish bike that she loves will keep her in the saddle?
    Sorry I can't offer advice on models but hopefully you'll find something you can all agree on

If a road bike is OK, you could probably pick up a used Boardman Fi for 300 - I know of one being sold.
    Twitter: @_dottigirl_ and @Toria_Lyons
    Blog with cycling tips for beginners: http://toriacycling.wordpress.com/
    Blog usually about writing/cycling/rugby as I've just published a novel: www.torialyons.co.uk

I know i would want someone to have a 'proper' bike ie a road bike, and Decathlon or similar would possibly fill that criteria inc your budget. But she is 12 yrs old, has to face her mates and a ride to school, there's no 2 ways around it, she will want to look stylish, fashionable in front of her mates (and those that are not her mates) and function over fashion will not be acceptable. You want her to have a bike she will ride and that has to be first and foremost at this stage. Hopefully she will learn that it might not be quite suitable and realise she might need a bike that is more suitable for the type of cycling her dad wants her to do...
    Either way better she is cycling than not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare Dyer View Post
    My daughter has outgrown her islabike (I know very spoilt) and is really tall enough for an adult bike ( 5ft 3 and growing daily). She isnt cycling nearly as much as she used to but next year we are hiring a campervan in Netherlands and Denmark so will be doing some cycling to the nearest shops, and from campsite into towns etc, prob max 5 miles per day. She also currently walks the 1.5miles each way to school but would like to cycle sometimes. She saw the pendleton somersby mint limited edition and fell in love with it. Personally i dont like the white tyres. Hubby is very anti the retro look and says they are fashion items only and would prefer to buy more of a touring/ treking bike with 21+ gears rather than the max 6-7 you get on the retro style bikes. He feels that you dont get value for money on the retro bikes. Our budget is up to 300. We have looked at the dawes duchess and I would love to buy a bobbin but really not sure about value for money. Any advice please?
    Your daughter may be better off with a Hydred Land Rover make a 17" ladies frame bike with 21 gears. It has a step through frame and is metallic lavender blue so it very girly. Hydred's are good off road and on road so she can have fun with the bike. Have a look at www.ladiescycle2.co.uk I am sure they would do you a good price.