Total Women's Cycling | The Most Popular Cycling Website For Women

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a 404 code

That page is either no longer available, or you've mistyped a URL. If you're certain the URL is correct, please e-mail us and let us know.

No route found for "GET /fm/nav-external/"

It's just not the same anymore after I got hit by a car...

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this forum but I thought I'll give it a try.
    My partner and I bought bikes past spring and I fell in love with cycling... we even went so far to convert our hybrids to road bikes before actually getting proper road bikes this winter in sale (mine is a trek madone 2.1 and it was love at first ride ).

About 2 weeks before Christmas I got hit by a car on my way to work and went flying.
    Luckily I got away with only a few bruises and my only 6 weeks old (or new) bike didn't get completely ruined.

My wheels were slightly bent but I still carried on cycling to work and back (guess I was still pretty under shock) that same day, but then stopped to ride for about a week and went back to commuting on my old spare bike until the new one was fixed now over Christmas.

I thought it might be just because of my old stallion, but today I went back on my new and fixed bike and i felt the same problem...
    Ever since the accident I wouldn't say I'm scared... probably slightly nervous at times and more aware of cars passing me with little space, but and yes, there's a but...
    Ever since then, I feel like my bike lost it's virginity - in a bad way and I feel like I can't seem to find the joy I used to get from cycling anymore. It almost feels like a chore at times.

I am exited to go out on the bike... as long as I'm not actually taking it out for a ride.

I want to find the joy in riding again, I miss it, I used to love it... we were even thinking of doing some sort of cycling holiday my partner and I before it happened...

Anyways, I was hoping some of you might have experienced similar and could share some advice?
    I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hi Charlotte

Just over a year ago I was also hit by a car, despite my face smashing through the car window the only damage was a few stitches to my jaw and a badly bruised body.

Had the combined efforts of the ambulance crew and police not stopped me, I too would have just ridden off with a buckled front wheel and glass sticking out of my face, the adrenaline will get you to safety

I knew I had to get back on my bike as soon as I could before the fear could set in, unfortunately due to some delayed concussion issues I wasn't able to for quite a few weeks. Eventually I got back on but had the same issues you are having, you do become far more aware of the danger from cars but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm more of a mountain biker which wouldn't have caused me a problem but I do ride on the road during the winter, I decided the only thing to do was to go out on a long ride to shake my demons. I rode fifty miles and forced myself to go out on very busy main roads, the first half of the ride I was nervous but by the end I was cycling down the A27 (a far too busy road and one I usually avoid) and realised I was back to normal. The funny thing now is that since the accident I've actually done far more road riding than ever before. I am now more cautious, not nervous and I think this makes you a safer cyclist?

I did, however, avoid the road where I was hit for absolutely ages, months in fact but then I had a word with myself, got out there in order to get over it, the nervousness came flooding back but I had got it over and done with. I would say that after all this time, I take that road with more caution than anywhere else. If you haven't ridden your accident road yet I would suggest sooner rather than later

Also, why not try something different for a bit? Mountain biking is great fun, getting wrapped around a tree can hurt but I'd take that over a large lump of moving metal any day. If you have no or little off road experience try one of the forestry commission forests that have hire facilities (Swinley isn't too far from London), take a bike out for an hour or two, trails are graded to cover all abilities. You could well end up falling in love with MTB'ing

Niki

In just over 30 years of cycling i have been brought off 4 times with varying degrees of injury, that have resulted in time off the bike. Once back on the bike i have always had a heightened awareness of passing traffic and some nervousness which gradually diminishes with time and regaining confidence.
    Always i have been determined not to let my accidents have a detrimental long term effect to my cycling, to my mind if we let them do that they have won in taking us off the roads plus i have spent too much money and have too much kit to allow them to win.

Rest assured with time it will improve if you keep riding and regain confidence.

Hi Charlotte,
    I also got knocked off in June, at a roundabout right outside my flat. Luckily I wasn't seriously hurt due to the shallow angle of impact, but I did have to get a new road bike - it was three months before I got a new one and I haven't managed a solo ride on it since then. What I am glad about is that I carried on commuting to work on my hybrid, so I'm not completely phased by the roads, and I am comfortable with this because the route is familiar. I have also resumed my weekly club rides - I don't feel nervous when out with a group. Have you maybe thought about joining a local club, or going out on one of the Breeze rides or another of the rides on Goskyride? Then perhaps you can learn a few routes and go out solo or with your partner.

In the same vein as what Niki was saying, perhaps you can turn the nervousness into a positive to make you safer on the road. Then you can anticipate all the daft things other road users might get up to and maybe increase your confidence. As eilithyia says, the only way to get your confidence back is to get back on the bike. It will be tough for a while, but it will get better. And hopefully you will bond with your bike again - after all, everyone has crashes or falls off at some point or other, and you'll get scuffs, dents, chips, etc. so it won't stay perfect for long. Parts will get worn and you'll have to replace them, or you may want to upgrade bits, so it was always going to end up being a slightly different bike to the one you started out with.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to how you get on!

I was in a serious accident last year resulting in me having 30 stitches in my face, it took me off the bike for a while as I could no longer wear my helmet comfortably/safely. All of the while I was recovering I was itching to get back on my bike and loved the idea of biking, I guess the same as you, but when it came to it I was very scared when the day eventually came around.

I stripped everything back and made my bike as comfortable as possible. I got rid of my clippy pedals for the first few rides, I made sure that I felt 100% comfortable before I got back on my bike. Although I do still get a little nervous when I get in similar situations to my crash, I think the thing that got me through it was not commuting or doing anything slightly monotonous whilst I was recovering but going out and enjoying myself, cycling and going for a drink, or cycling and going for a Sunday lunch, these little rides helped me gain confidence before I dared put my clippy pedals back on and truly "got back into it".

Hi Girls,

first if if all thank you for all your helpful comments!
    Not that I wish anyone a similar experience, but it helps knowing I'm not the only one that feels that way!
    My partner, a passionate cyclist himself, has managed to fix my wheels over Christmas and Friday was the first time I went back on it on my way to work.
    unfortunately I can't avoid the spot where it happened as I have to pass it on my way to work and as I passed it I was "slightly" more stressed than the rest of the route...
    I love my bike and I would hate to see it sitting at home for too long especially as I got all these great gimmicks for Christmas yo pimp it up...
    we are planning to do a leisurely ride today and look at some new helmets (my old one got a knock and I feel like I want to replace it!) maybe get some coffee on the way... Just a (hopefully) joy ride so to speak... I'm exited to go, but worried at the same time.
    i want to do london-Brighton in summer... and I want to be able to enjoy it!
    anyhow, it helps to know I not just being overly dramatic!
    thanks for your support!!!

That's great news and you're definitely not being over dramatic. You should always replace your helmet after an impact crash, even if it looks perfectly ok. Some helmet manufacturers offer a crash replacement scheme which is worth considering before you buy.

Hope all goes well for you and that you are able to ride the London to Brighton, I'm sure you will.

Last year I had a couple of falls. One I got knocked off in Majorca by a mountain goat! Day 2 of the week long cycle holiday so I had no choice but to keep going. My helmet was smashed and I had a few bruises, but other than that no impact. A few months later I had a fairly innocuous fall at low speed. I sprained my wrist which forced me off the bike for a few weeks.

I don't know if it was the 2 incidents in quick succession, but for a while afterwards I found that I wouldn't venture out far on the bike by myself and I lost my nerve in general. Prior to that I would happily take off for an entire day (I work shifts so you do things on your own when the rest of the world is working). I think the incidents made me realise how simple it is to get injured on a bike.

It took a while, but I am more or less back to normal in terms of where and when I will cycle. It takes time, but I am sure you will beat it.

Hey,
    I know, long time no see…
    First of all Jill1morton - A MOUNTAIN GOAT? Oh my word! That sounds like an awful experience!!!

So a few weeks have passed since my last post and I am happy to say I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel (or so to speak)

I had told you we were going on that "leisurely" ride two sundays ago… well not so leisurely at all… ok our speed was pretty slow but that was it with the leisure
    I must admit I was pretty frightened going around Central London that day with all the cars and traffic (gladly my partner was really supportive and understanding) - BUT, and yes there is always a "but" (at least in my case) I think in the end this was exactly what I needed, a good old shock-therapy.
    The whole week after, day by day, as I was commuting to work, I felt the "weight" was lifting and I was starting to find the connection to my bike again.

So last Sunday we went to Richmond Park and I actually really enjoyed it being out on the bike (not so much some of the inclines though they were quite hard for me unfit fatty bum )!

I still feel freaked if a car is passing me with too little space for my liking or I get to a junction and can't proper see what's going on… but I hope as time goes on this will get back to "normal" as well.

Now I just need to get my insurance claim sorted… hopefully they will cover the cost for the repairs (carbon fork, wheels ext.)
    Does anyone have experience with that and on how to get them to cover as much of the cost as possible?
    Does anyone know if I can claim for paint scratches on the bike (after all it was only 5 weeks old on the day it happened)

Last but not least I wanted to say thank you for your support and sharing your experiences!
    I feel it already helped "talking" or better typing with others who have experienced similar. Thank you for sharing your stories!

Glad to hear you're getting back into your cycling. Can I suggest the you perhaps do a Bikeability lesson? It really will help to give you more confidence riding on the roads. I'm sure there will be lessons available near to you, hopefully free! And yes, I am a cycle instructor, but nowhere near you!