Total Women's Cycling | The Most Popular Cycling Website For Women

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a 404 code

That page is either no longer available, or you've mistyped a URL. If you're certain the URL is correct, please e-mail us and let us know.

No route found for "GET /fm/nav-external/"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why a women's-only site?

Hi all

I was wondering why we are able to enjoy a women's only website. What is the ultimate goal to be achieved by this site and are the other sites missing something? There are many very good sites out there that are not gender specific -- although rather male dominated, maybe... But hey, that should not really matter. So, what's your take on this?

Please don't misunderstand me, it is one of the better cycling sites on the web and the articles are written in a very pleasant way. So, my question is posed purely out of interest and not to criticize to site and its information.

Best regards from the south

As a woman who has been cycling since the late 70's and while nervous initially to go out with my b/f's mates in the cycling club, soon realised they were not so scary people, i do find it strange that these women only sites are required. However my recent experience of what i hear the ladies saying differs from that. It seems many ladies are nervous of excessive testosterone, of possibly being made to look foolish if they do not know how the latest widget works, or cannot keep up on a club run.... and also want a safe place to discuss women specific issues...

Recently we got a women specific area started on timetrialling forum and on the ctc forum, on TTF it started fairly quietly, 1-2 of the blokes did have a little competition to try to be the first to be banned from that part of the forum,but it quickly settled down and mostly we discuss events and results. CTC was surprisingly different, when first suggested we had pages of discussion by the men who did not see the necessity as any issues regarding bikes, training,riding etc., could be discussed by all...... predominantly i agreed, but supported the women specific discussion area to ensure the ladies felt they had a 'safe' place to come and ask their questions. It did not matter how much i tried to explain that some ladies feel intimidated by the gents, there were some who persisted in failing to understand that even in this modern liberated world some ladies still feel this way.

So basically to sum up, there are a lot of ladies who are keen to cycle, but are nervous in a perceived testosterone heavy environment and want a 'safe' place to ask their questions, not disimilar to why we have so many ladies only clubs/facebook groups etc., starting up. If it brings more ladies into cycling i am all for it but also i am saddened that liberation has not moved us much further forward....

I love the fact that i have somewhere to find information about women specific clothing etc without having to wade through tons of information about stuff I wont be buying. Yes there are loads of things that cross over, but actually when you look at the printed mags, you try to find an article that goes into the specifics of Chamois cream and how to use it, or the best women fit jacket etc.
    As someone fairly new to cycling, I also appreciate the tutorials on technique and maintenance which are delivered in a non patronising yet informative way.
    It's great that it is all here. (I just wish there was a printed copy available somewhere - I can't take my iPad everywhere!)

I think Women specific sight is really a good Idea. There are so many men specific/men only fitness related sites so why not women only sites?

Well girls as for me it's ok to visit a woman only site. But i thought that a woman-only site will have different topics about food, children and so on -=) And here i don't see any.. or i just can't find =) We need communication, so why not to creae topics about food and other things? it's just a suggestion...

Had a quick look on the Lounge and there have been threads about food, losing weight. I have seen topics about children and school runs etc., but they may have been on some facegroups i join in with.

Sometimes it is good to get away from the usual conversations we have every day at work and with non-cycling colleagues (children, partners, house work, diets etc) and share our love cycling.

I agreed with you on this

Yes, Exactly there are so many sites that has only concern about men fitness, Only women fitness site was required. Thank you admin for creating this website.

I recently started commuting 13 miles each way to work from Twickenham to Elephant & Castle area. I'm determined to keep at it but have found it very scary after not cycling for about 20 years (I'm 55)! I also want to maintain my bike myself where possible. But..all cycle sites seem to assume prior knowledge and focus on experienced cyclists who are young, fit, and competitive (i.e. most of those that buzz me at about 6 inches distance on the road!). I absolutely support this site which makes no such assumptions and is not pretentious or exclusive. Well done Total Women's Cycling for setting it up and making cycling more accessible to all!

i'm 26, an LCF (London College of Fashion) Postgraduate Student

My project is about fashion and fitness and in particular women's cycling and safety apparel in the UK.

Please could I ask you to fill out my survey about lifestyle, active women, fashion, cycling.

It would be so, so helpful in my report writing!

https://goo.gl/forms/xwXdNB3ImcMcHe6O2

Thank you!!