Total Women's Cycling | The Most Popular Cycling Website For Women

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a 404 code

That page is either no longer available, or you've mistyped a URL. If you're certain the URL is correct, please e-mail us and let us know.

No route found for "GET /fm/nav-external/"

Question Commuting Harrasment

Hello All, I'm new here to the forum and have a question on how you deal with harassment while biking to/from work. Last week, I was biking back from work as normal (I don't have a long commute it's only a few miles) and this car filled with some college age boys drove past me making & started making truly awful sexual comments. In all the years that I've commuted I've never had that happen. I've dealt with the rude car driver who don't understand that bicycles do belong on the road & not the sidewalks, but never anything like that. At the time, I figured it'd be best to just ignore them, I'm not a brave person and I was so shocked by what they were saying. But now I think it'd been better to get the license plate & description or at least say something. Have anyone here ever had something like that happen & how did you deal with it?

That's appalling . Sorry, I've never experienced anything like that, so I don't have any comebacks I can share. I suppose I would be most likely to channel my mother of teenage boys experience to deliver a frosty look and a: "Really?" but that's entirely hypothetical without knowing the amount of intimidation you were feeling.

I hope that's your last experience like that as well as your first, and yes, definitely take licence plate details.

Yes, although it has been some years, it was never foul; just blokes being blokes and making comments or wolf whistling...... Mostly just ignored cos by the time they had gone past it was too late to respond....

A couple of years back i was slapped on the b*m and was able to get the registration plate, sadly with no independant witnesses they police could only bring the driver and his mates in, read them their 'rights', get statements whilst warning them they were making statements under oath and risked perjury, and warned that the perpetrator could be listed on the sex offenders register..... sadly they all collaborated that no one in the car had made contact with me.... but the police kept referring to me as having been running and i got the distinct impression a runner had suffered a similar contact earlier in the day.. i do not know if it was the same car load of yuffs.

So yes get the reg, yes report it, you never know. Not sure if it is the same where you live, but here it is likely it will go on file and will come if there is another complaint against the driver of the vehicle...

Thanks all for the thoughts. Hopefully there isn't a next time, but if there is I will have a better plan on how to deal with it. They were young enough that I cold have imitated by best mom voice and chastised them, threatened the cops. I am 45 years old, so I probably could have pulled it off.

Yes, few years back (when I had long hair) this ugly stuff keeps happening.
    I've heard **** like "lucky saddle, come sit on my face instead on that bike" and so on..

But real physical contact was only once. One greasy, fat and bald douchebag slapped my bum after xc race and said that lovely cliché "your ass on my face"
    Yeah, I was stupid and high on caffeine and after race adrenaline, so I've put my fist on his stomach and my knee on his beloved face.

But, that was 10 years ago, I was 15.. Since than, times definitively changed. Today, no one cares and people learned how to say real compliments. (and I wear short hair hehe)
    So, times are getting better in central europe.

I would like to say that violence never solved anything, but I find myself strangely unable to. And I'm not clapping, I'm um... improving the circulation in my hands.

I commute by bike and I'm seriously thinking about buying a go pro camera to record all the rubbish I have to put up with from pedestrians and motorists!!