Winter cycling??

When I was out tonight I realised just how early the sun is starting to set. I stay in Scotland so there is pretty much no daylight at the best of times! When I was in my last half hour it was pretty dull, luckily I had lights!

Does anyone have any winter cycling suggestions? I have got really into cycling over the past 4 months and the thought of only weekend rides doesn't make me happy!! As I work 9-5, daytime is out!

What does everyone else do in winter... Turbo up or Glow in the dark with reflective clothing?!

I glow in the dark to the best of my abilities. Provis jacket (a bit sweaty to wear, unfortunately, as it isn't breathable), lights front and back (obviously), and spoke lights for side visibility. My current spoke lights are a bit weak, I want to upgrade them for my second winter, or find an alternative solution. I just got back from a camping holiday where a group from Holland were also visiting, and some of their bikes had reflective side walls on the tyres. I was quite impressed when I saw them in the dark; must find out whether we have them over here.

Reflective side walls sound good! if you ever find them let us know! I think I will end up much the same then! Glow in the dark!

Even the low sun in the evening is starting to cause problems again now!

I saw this product advertised recently: www.volvolifepaint.com What a brilliant idea! I am going to see if I can find some.

Keep commuting with adequate lights, except for trips to specific places; club room etc., I never chose to go cycling as such after dark. But we often used to have winter YH weekends away which would mean a Friday night ride to 1st venue.
    After that miles are got in during the day at weekends.... or, as a shift worker, got out before an afternoon shift.

Quote Originally Posted by trudgemeister View Post
    I saw this product advertised recently: www.volvolifepaint.com What a brilliant idea! I am going to see if I can find some.
    Thats amazing!! I'm going to look into that.... Hopefully not too expensive!!!

Just don't stop! Autumn and winter can be brilliant for cycling and if you're lucky you get the road to yourself. Buy some good gear so you feel protected. Light yourself up like a Christmas tree and get out there. Is riding to work an option? Personally I detest turbo training. I'd rather ride in a hailstorm than spend half an hour in the garage on the turbo.
    Life is like cycling... you have to keep moving to keep your balance

Quote Originally Posted by Cycle_T View Post
    When I was out tonight I realised just how early the sun is starting to set. I stay in Scotland so there is pretty much no daylight at the best of times! When I was in my last half hour it was pretty dull, luckily I had lights!

Does anyone have any winter cycling suggestions? I have got really into cycling over the past 4 months and the thought of only weekend rides doesn't make me happy!! As I work 9-5, daytime is out!

What does everyone else do in winter... Turbo up or Glow in the dark with reflective clothing?!

I try to make the most of the weekends and then do a few Spin Classes in the evenings. Lively music and some disco lights certainly brightens up the darkest of evenings

Love winter cycling

Quote Originally Posted by Cycle_T View Post

I love winter cycling. The most of dark evenings by adding a high lumens headlight to my bike for a ride that feels other- worldly.