Total Women's Cycling | The Most Popular Cycling Website For Women

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a 404 code

That page is either no longer available, or you've mistyped a URL. If you're certain the URL is correct, please e-mail us and let us know.

No route found for "GET /fm/nav-external/"

Unusual help with buying

Hey

I'm looking for new MTB (recent one was stollen). Preferably with 26" or 27,5" wheels and hard tail. Rear suspension just
    don't work for me and for local terrain.
    My problem: I'm really tall (1,93m) but weight only 63 kg. Classic mans bikes are too heavy for me, but much more weight appropriate ladies bikes are too small.

The few bike shops here could not help, so hopefully, I will find some help here.

Have you looked at men's Carbon frames? They are a lot more expensive, but lighterweight.

Commencal have a full range of sizes:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod128230

But a lot of companies have unisex frames now like Yt Industries, Canyon, Commencal because there really isn't that much difference between mens and womens bikes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod125726

Best thing is to look at a few companies and look at their sizing recommendations because they all differ.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck!

What were you riding before?

I would say that the weight of the bike is not such a big deal and I don't see any reason why a men's frame would be heavier than an equivalently sized women's frame. The few companies whose women's bikes are actually female-specific technology use the same building materials and technology, only they build a geometry to fit a female body.

Why is weight such a problem for you? Do you have difficulty with technical moves or with your endurance? Depending on your reason for wanting a lighter bike, you may have some different options

I'm 5'8" (1.75m??) and I find it really hard to get a women's bike big enough, so I think you'll stand no chance! I would have thought there would actually be more choice of light weight in men's bikes anyway?

Thanks for answers so far.

I've had custom made composite bike (by one company here in Slovakia), which was pretty light, and sadly, there is no chance to get another.
    It had 26" wheels, hard tail (don't like full suspension) and I used it to travel through marshes and often flooded woods.

Problem is, I'm too light for some technical stuff and suspension don't work in exactly desired ways with my weight.
    I'm generally fit and well, but pushing bike too heavy makes me pray to anything up there.
    Last edited by Nina; 10-09-2015 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Thanks for answers so far.

I've had custom made composite bike (by one company here in Slovakia), which was pretty light, and sadly, there is no chance to get another.
    It had 26" wheels, hard tail (don't like full suspension) and I used it to travel through marshes and often flooded woods.

Problem is, I'm too light for some technical stuff and suspension don't work in exactly desired ways with my weight.
    I'm generally fit and well, but pushing bike too heavy makes me pray to anything up there.
    I think you must keep it up either it's hard or easy because cycling is the best and most recommended way to lose weight naturally.