Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Very Excited Beginner

Hi All,

Little bit about me, Iím 33 and havenít cycled in about 20 years (horrifying I know!) Iíll be honest; Iím overweight, diabetic and desperately need to get fit and healthy. I hate the gym and find it soul destroying. So the other half and I have decided that cycling is the way forward!

He used to do some downhill racing back when he was at Uni, when he was fit (about 15 years ago) and he still has a lovely if somewhat old Turner. So weíve brushed off his old bike and yesterday I became the very proud own of a new mountain bike, honestly I am so excited I am like a small child at Christmas. We are planning our first outing at the moment, which will probably only be a turnaround the estate we live on while I get used to my bike and he decides what if any changes he needs to make to the Turner.

Given the mixed experience I had while looking for my bike, which ranged from the lovely chap I bought from who talked me through everything, let me go for a test ride and gave me a fabulous deal through to being completely ignored in another shop, Iím guessing itís because fat girls donít ride??

Does anyone have any advice for a complete beginner?

I understand that there will be pain for a little while; I will be purchasing some padding shorts etc. as soon as I can find some, and be making some small journeyís to get used to the bike before I venture to far from the house. Iíll also need to do some research on cycling with diabetes, Iím hereditary type 2 so cannot suffer a hypo but will need to be aware of it as I go out and about a bit more.

I am so excited about my new bike (be glad Iíve not posted a picture!) I looking forward to the day I can go out with our friends and keep up, Iím lucky that I live in a fabulous area and Iím within 1-2 miles of a canal and some common ground which has been turned into a walking/cycling route and my home town is really good for cycle paths. Any advice would be welcome and I am working really hard to keep my motivation up.

Hereís to cycling, getting fit and living the healthy live!

Pea

Enjoy your new bike!! Little and often to start with, cos, yes, your bum will hurt! But don't worry, as you ride more, your bum very soon gets used to it. Padded shorts are useful when you start doing longer rides (tip: do not wear anything under them, the pad should be next to your skin).
    Have fun :-)

Have fun! Maybe consider some social rides if you would enjoy the company of others as well after a while. I've been on some very nice rides arranged through the Sky Ride website. My preferred flavour is a a gentle pootle with a stop for tea and cakes along the way.

I'm a fat girl and I jolly well cycle! In fact I'm 59 and got the bug again last year after a long break. Have even bought a second hand road bike, and spent most of July (and now September) glued to the Tour and the Vuelta. Haven't lost weight yet but av. speed increasing well -did the local 18 mile bike trail in 72 minutes instead of 85 last time and am now at the point where, if I haven't been on the bike every day, I feel something's not quite right. Try and do a little as often as you can, and I echo what the others say about padded pants. Have fun - am sure you will!

Thanks All,

As I said still very excited, planning to head out this weekend and have a little ride around the estate I live on to get used to the bike and the gears.

Been researching padded shorts, still not worked out what to buy yet but getting there, I think for me this whole exercise it about getting fit and healthy. Any weight loss that comes with it will be a bonus! and I assume that with healthy eating and more exercise that will come, but already looking at routes that take us by some nice pubs ready for when we're a little fitter and ready to go away from home a bit more.

I've bought a mountain bike rather than a road bike as I am terrified of the thought of cycling on the road... there are some terrible drivers out there!

I work away from home at the moment and I am actually looking forward to going home so I can visit the bike!! My poor boyfriend, I don't think he realises what he's unleashed!

How did it go, Little_Pea? Did you have a good time?

Hey, I'm not exactly fat but ya I'm having excessive fat. I have started cycling daily and I'm excited too as I'm the beginner but what about my marks or others issues related to skin which are caused due to fats? Will it be also reduce ? Someone suggested me to massage those parts. Had any one tried this? I started both simultaneously before a week or 2. Let's see the result.

Yes, how did it go? As said elsewhere; little and often to get used to riding, get your b*m and saddle acquainted etc. Welcome and enjoy... Oh and some shops ignore / don't think thin girls ride or know anything about cycling either.......

Hi All,

Well the first outing went well, only a quick trip or two round the block as was short on time but really wanted to get out and about! I'm on holiday next week and the boyfriends new fork should have arrived by then so we are planning to venture a little further away from home.

I have found a pair of shorts, only cheap ones while I settle into the swing of thing

But the ride was brilliant, figured out the gears and was very much the happy cyclist with the wind in my hair etc.

Awesome! I only learned how to ride when I was in my early 20s, and never really cycled much; last year I bought a bike, got over-excited and now I cycle to work every day and am day-dreaming about cycling from Scotland to Yorkshire next year.... good to hear you are enjoying it, I think that's the main thing!