Post cancer training

Hi,
    I am 56 and have just finished chemotherapy and radiotherapy for stage 1 breast cancer and I have just started on Letrozole.
    I am keen to get back to my previous level of cycling if possible.
    I previously did about 3000 miles of road cycling and 500 turbo miles per year. This included an alpine holiday and one 100 mile sportive annually.
    I am looking for advice about how to build up my cycling. Has anyone been through this, or does anyone know where I could get advice from someone qualified in this area of training?

Hi
    Glad to hear you have finished your chemo and radiotherapy and are looking forward to getting back on your bike. Have you spoken to your doctor about it? Sometimes they can refer you to a specific rehabilitation programme in your area.

Good to hear that you finished your chemotherapy and radiotherapy. You should consider doctor first, before re-build up your cycling.

Thanks, unfortunately there is nothing suitable in my area.

Thanks. My Doctor is happy for me to start building up my cycling but could only give general advice.

Glad you are over all the treatments. How did you start cycling? OKI know that sounds daft but it is pertinent, i guess you started slowly, doing some shorter distances increasing over time? I would start from that base, do some gentle spins on the turbo, see how your legs and you feel.Half and hour? build from there? If on the road do some short trips, to the shops, to see a friend... build it up. You have the advantage ( I assume) of it being winter, so you can just a get a few regular short trips in, and build up the miles as the weather improves in spring... i am sure you will be back to your usual fitness by early spring and doing the miles / trips you want to do.
    My M-I-L is in her 80's and had a mastectomy in Aug, ok did not need chemo etc., but is bouncing back from the op and off out dancing on a Saturday night as she did before.....

Quote Originally Posted by eileithyia View Post
    Glad you are over all the treatments. How did you start cycling? OKI know that sounds daft but it is pertinent, i guess you started slowly, doing some shorter distances increasing over time? I would start from that base, do some gentle spins on the turbo, see how your legs and you feel.Half and hour? build from there? If on the road do some short trips, to the shops, to see a friend... build it up. You have the advantage ( I assume) of it being winter, so you can just a get a few regular short trips in, and build up the miles as the weather improves in spring... i am sure you will be back to your usual fitness by early spring and doing the miles / trips you want to do.
    My M-I-L is in her 80's and had a mastectomy in Aug, ok did not need chemo etc., but is bouncing back from the op and off out dancing on a Saturday night as she did before.....
    Thanks. That is kind of what I thought I would try. I did manage to do a little bit on my bike during my treatment and have started to try to build up base fitness. I am toying with signing up for the John O'Groats to Lands End in September.....
    I'm glad your M-I-L is doing so well!

Hi CeliaSlow, how are you getting on with your training and recovery?

I finished treatment for breast cancer in June - chemo(fec-t) and radiotherapy - and I have been slowly slowly trying to get back to some level of fitness and build up my endurance again. It's been very hard! Weight gain during treatment and the ongoing effects of tamoxifen have left me menopausal, washed out and with inflamed joints and aching muscles/boney pain. I'm 42 years old and feeling more like I imagine I should at 60.
    However! I feel lucky to be alive and keen to try and regain some of the fitness I had before diagnosis.
    Back then, I was just getting into cycling. I had joined a great club, completed the London 100 in a respectable ish time and tried my first etape de tour (timed out at the top of the second mountain, but it was a good try ��)

I feel like I'm starting from scratch again, did you? How are you getting on now? There seems to be a dearth of research around this and most advice I've had is tailored to general fitness, not the sort of level of endurance training I'm keen to try to return to......

be be good to hear from you

best wishes

Jo

It's 10 months since I posted my query. I have worked very very hard to get my fitness back and I am now fitter than ever. There were days when I could hardly drag myself off the sofa to do a turbo session, and some days I didn't, but gradually I got fit. There wasn't really any medical advice provided, I just built things up gradually. The medication has side effects - but I try to ignore them and they haven't stopped me. I am soon to take part in a women v cancer end to end sponsored cycle! So to anyone out there in the same boat, don't give up!