Question Chamois Washing frequency?

Hello! I am new to road cycling and have just bought a pair of cycling trousers. I didn't realise that you aren't supposed to wear pants with them. Just curious to know how often you all wash yours? I would rather wash them after each use but didn't know if that was necessary. I only do 22 miles a day 5 days a week for work. When I go on a much longer ride I will obviously wash them.
    Does anyone have any tricks in keeping them clean without the washing machine just wearing them out?

Hi,
    I wash mine after each use. I cycle 12 miles each way to work and I've even been tempted to bring a fresh pair of shorts to cycle home in, especially in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisboombah View Post
    Hello! I am new to road cycling and have just bought a pair of cycling trousers. I didn't realise that you aren't supposed to wear pants with them. Just curious to know how often you all wash yours? I would rather wash them after each use but didn't know if that was necessary. I only do 22 miles a day 5 days a week for work. When I go on a much longer ride I will obviously wash them.
    Does anyone have any tricks in keeping them clean without the washing machine just wearing them out?

I wear thin padded shorts under cycling trousers, when out for a longish ride.... and wash those daily. Though TBH for my commute I used to ride with undies on.... just some fairly plain cotton ones... as long as they don't chafe...
    But like undies I would not repeatedly wear same padded shorts / or longs on repeated days without washing..... they can become a festering harbour for germs... which in turn could lead to sores / infections.

I may be the weird one here, but I typically wash them after 2 hours of exercise. Since I mostly ride 1 hour a day, that works out to an every-other day washing. For me, I don't want to wear them out with excessive washing.

Back when I was riding more, I'd hand wash them and ring them out in a towel and then hang dry them after every ride. That worked out every well and I always had clean clothes to wear for my workouts.
    Let's go riding! Please send me all those crazy bike stories you run across. I'm always looking for new material to add to my bike review blog.