Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Nat@JoyrideCycles's Avatar

Recipes and meals

I know I can't be the only one who rides a bike in order to eat cake and not feel bad.

Got any super-ride-fuel flapjack recipes? Share your best cake-stop recipes here!

Also, share any good meals you make for post-ride or training.

My favourite breakfast at the moment is Bircher Muesli, keeps you so full, packed with good stuff and sets you up for a ride like nothing else.

(serves 2)
    100g rolled oats or porridge
    100ml semi skimmed milk
    100ml orange juice (trust me it works!)
    about 3 heaped tbs of value low fat yoghurt
    2 grated apples
    1 tbs honey or agave syrup
    2 handfulls of whatever you like! I use chopped pistachios, dried blueberries and dried cranberries
    chopped banana to top

This is best made-up (minus the banana) the night before for it to soften. It will keep nicely for a couple of days in the fridge so you can make a big batch up and have instant breakfast in the mornings! The orange juice preserves the apple and stops it going brown.

One of my favourites is super easy and nutritious for a cold day:

Sweet Potato, Paprika and Bacon Soup

3 large sweet potatoes
    1 onion, diced
    1 clove garlic
    2 tsp paprika
    250g bacon, diced (fat cut off or medallions if you prefer)
    500ml chicken or veg stock
    lemon juice to serve

1) Chop and boil sweet potatoes until tender (15-20mins)
    2) Meanwhile heat some oil in a pan and fry onion until soft but not brown.
    3) Add bacon and fry until crisp
    4) Add garlic and fry 2 mins. Add paprika and fry 1 min.
    5) Boil kettle and make up stock
    6) drain sweet potatoes and mash or blend, retaining some chunkiness
    7) Combine the lot, serve and squeeze lemon over the top
    Last edited by Nat@JoyrideCycles; 16-02-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Instagram @bikeshopnat | Blog Joyride Cycles Bikeshopnat | Facebook Joyride Womens | Strava Nat@JoyrideCycles

I am SO glad someone else mentioned the cake-offset benefits of cycling!

So my contribution to the cake/food strand is the super-easy apple and cinnamon yoghurt pot cake (so named cos you use yoghurt in it, and a yoghurt pot for measuring).

I like to kid myself that because this has apples in it, it counts towards my five-a-day

So:
    2 or 3 sweet apples
    1 pot of yoghurt
    1.5 pots of sugar
    1 pot of veg oil
    3 pots of flour
    3 eggs
    1.5 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon (or more if you fancy?)
    Optional: 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.

Method:
    1. Peel the apples, and remove the cores. Chop one apple into small cubes, and grate the others into a large mixing bowl.
    2. Add the yoghurt, sugar, oil and eggs and mix
    3. Seive in the flour and baking powder, and mix till smooth
    4. add the cinnamon, and do a taste check
    5. pour into a greased baking tin/loaf tin, and pop into a hot oven at about 180/200 degrees
    6. leave it in there till its cooked. Sorry this bit is a bit vague - I just kinda keep popping back and checking it till it looks done.
    7. remove, cool and eat. Or just eat if you can't be bothered to wait for it to cool down. Good with custard.

Awesome contribution Aoife! It's a well known fact that banoffee pie, banana bread and carrot cake count towards one of your five a day
    Instagram @bikeshopnat | Blog Joyride Cycles Bikeshopnat | Facebook Joyride Womens | Strava Nat@JoyrideCycles

I make up flapjacks every couple of weeks and it works out way cheaper than buying them in the shops. It literally takes 10 minutes to make them and another 20 in the oven (I am a terrible cook so if I can make them anyone can!)

Using a mug for measurement:

2 Mugs Porridge Oats
    1 Mug mixed toasted nuts (I generally get the bag of unsalted mixed nuts and put them in the oven for 5 minutes to get them all toasty)
    1 Mug dried mixed fruits (like the stuff you get in mince pies - you can get bags of these in Lidl for a couple of euros)
    300g of butter (half a mug melted)
    4 tablespoons of honey (generally I just throw it in until it tastes sweet enough)
    1/2 mug of brown sugar

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz it around for a minute or two and then pat it down onto a baking tray using the back of a spoon or a fork.
    Put them in the oven until they get a tiny bit brown (about 10 / 15 minutes). Take out the tray and let it cool for an hour or so so that it is well cooled down. Then I melt a bit of chocolate and spread it over the top. Then you can cut into squares and I wrap them individually in cling film so that they are easy to bring on spins. Super easy to make and I can make about 25 in one go. Costs about 20c a bar and really worth it rather than having to buy shop ones all the time.

Hi Everyone

I'm making a simple protein shake for post ride recovery. It stops me eating *all* the food when I get in.....

200ml almond milk
    2 tbsp plain whey protein powder
    1tbsp Raw Cacao Powder
    1 small-medium banana

Whizz up in a blender, pour and enjoy! Sometimes if I am out of the raw cacoa powder I just do banana and berries or banana and peanut butter instead (but the peanut butter is quite rich).
    strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/lhulme

I made a pretty calorific but glorious peanut butter flapjack for our shop ride on Sunday, it went down a storm!

175g crunchy peanut butter
    75g brown sugar
    2tbs oil
    6tbs golden syrup
    175g rolled oats
    150g chocolate to top

1) Melt the oil, sugar, syrup and peanut butter in a pan, then combine with the oats.
    2) Line a 20cm tin with baking paper
    3) Pour in, press down with a spoon, then bake 180degrees C for 15 minutes (soft) or 20 minutes (crunchy)
    4) Allow to cool for 5 mines and cut into squares. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
    5) Melt the chocolate over a pan of boiling water and drizzle over the top

Oh wow Nat - that sounds amazing. I better plan a massive ride to accommodate the calories!
    strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/lhulme

OMG, two of my fav things combined into one recipe! I am defo making this! Thanks for sharing Nat
    Twitter: @cyclosally
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/sallymcsorley

Hi

Here is my recipe for the flapjacks I make relatively healthy very little sugar and plenty of nuts and seeds:

100g of porridge oats
    60g wholemeal sr flour
    60g of granola(I use morn flake natural oat granola)
    1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon or you can use a full teaspoon of ginger for variety
    1 beaten egg
    4 tabllespoons of apple puree
    4 tablespoons of honey
    3 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons of veg oil
    300g of whatever you fancy I generally use a selection of the following:
    chopped mixed nuts
    chopped brazil nuts
    chopped pitashio nuts
    sunflower seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    almond flakes
    glace cherries
    sultana's
    raisins
    chopped walnuts
    dates
    dried apricots

Pop all the dry ingredients in a bowl mix, then add in all the rest and give a good mix. Pop mixture in a greased silicone or lined sqaure tin, in the oven for 30 mins at 160 degrees gas mark 3. Until firm and browned, cut into squares while warm, allow to cool and enjoy!!!!!

Yum!!!

Sounds much healthier than my flapjack! I think there is definitely room for a healthy flapjack and a pudding flapjack in my life though.

What form do you buy the apple puree in? Do you make it yourself or do you buy it baby food style?