Total Women's Cycling | The Most Popular Cycling Website For Women

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a 404 code

That page is either no longer available, or you've mistyped a URL. If you're certain the URL is correct, please e-mail us and let us know.

No route found for "GET /fm/nav-external/"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi Nat@joyridecycles,

The apple puree is basically apple sauce the best one I have found is Morrisons basic apple sauce, think it's 40p per jar and makes two batches.

Hey Nat. You can also make apple sauce using just a cubed bramley apple and few tbsp of water in a pan on a gentle heat. No sugar, I like it tart! Bramley's are so good because they melt into a velvety pulp. Make sure it doesn't cook dry and top up with extra water if needed. Eating apples don't work so well, so stick to Bramley's / Cooking Apples if you can. I find the supermarket stuff a bit sweet for my tastes, but its all personal preference (Oh, and convenience!!!)
    strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/lhulme

Super Moderator Nat@JoyrideCycles's Avatar
    Awesome thanks for the tips!
    Instagram @bikeshopnat | Blog Joyride Cycles Bikeshopnat | Facebook Joyride Womens | Strava Nat@JoyrideCycles

Hi all,

I have another contribution to the "healthy cake" club. This one is a fruit cake that contains no fat or sugar (other than what's naturally in the fruit):

100g wholemeal flour
    100g plain flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    100g raisins / sultanas
    50g dates
    50g dried apricots
    150ml milk
    150ml orange juice
    3 eggs
    2 apples, grated
    1 banana, mashed

Basically, mix the dry stuff together in one bowl. Mix the wet stuff in another. Add the wet to the dry and mix well and then pop in a 2lb loaf tin (I recommend a silicone one or definitely line with greased parchment paper - as there's no fat in the cake, it has a tendancy to stick to the tin). Bake at 160 degrees C for just over 1 hour (or until it's cooked through).
    I tend to chop up the dried fruit in a food processor then add it to the dry ingredients. Then I just core the apples (don't bother peeling them) and put them in the food processor until it's almost a puree, then add the banana, then the eggs to the mixer to blend, then add that to the rest of the wet ingredients. Obviously you can substitute any dried (or fresh) fruit you like.
    It's quite sweet even without any extra sugar and most importantly guilt-free :-) I throw some honey and flaked almonds on the top before it goes in the oven which makes it look nice!

OMG, guilt free cake? I am definitely making this for my other half. He doesn't need to know there is no sugar in it!
    Instagram @bikeshopnat | Blog Joyride Cycles Bikeshopnat | Facebook Joyride Womens | Strava Nat@JoyrideCycles

Here is my not-so-guilt-free fave flapjack recipe too: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipe...r-booster-bars

I don't bother with the orange and lemon and put in more fruit and nuts and it's all good. Perfect energy booster!

We make these muesli bars from Leon Book 2. They are amazing - they cut up easily and keep for 2 weeks. Although that has never happened before. I increased the amount of liquid in the recipe as the original recipe was producing bars that were a bit dry and crumbly. Also - if you're worried about too much sugar from the fruit juice, I swapped the fruit juice out to water and its absolutely fine (because you still have the honey to stick it all together).

MUESLI BARS

270g dried fruit (e.g. apricots, figs, dates, pears etc - a mixture of just choose one)
    40 g nuts
    80g seeds (e.g. pumpkin, sunflower)
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    120 ml fruit juice (apple or grape)
    2 level tablespoons honey
    60g wholemeal flour
    120 g rolled oats

1. Preheat oven to 190 C/ 375 F
    2. Put dried fruit into food processor and blitz until well chopped. Do the same with the nuts. Put the fruit, nuts, seeds and cinnamon into bowl.
    3. Warm the fruit juice and honey together in a pan large enough to eventually hold all the ingredients, until the honey is dissolved. Add the flour and oats, and stir in the fruit and nuts.
    4. Smooth the mixture into a 25 x 30 cm baking tray about 2.5 deep. Line with baking paper if tray is non-stick.
    5. Bake in the oven for 20 mins - longer if you would like your bars more crunchy.
    6. Allow to cool, then cut into rectangular bars. They will keep for 2 weeks in an airtight container
    strava: http://www.strava.com/athletes/lhulme

So many lot of women used to ask me why I was a cycle courier, what with the dirt and the danger and the bad weather and the crappy conditions until I explained that I could eat 4000 calories a day and stay a size 8. They couldn't understand putting myself through all of it but they understood the enomous amounts of cake and icecream I could eat. Half a tub of Ben and Jerrys (after a buisy day) just to be able to get in the shower and put dinner on without getting the hypoglycemic wobbles.

My blogs are dedicated to eating too! I love cycle touring so my wordpress blog is about camp cooking in part and my tumblr is my day to day gluttony (although some of its pretty healthy too) as well as pretty pictures of bike rides.

I am just perfecting a pre-ride breakfast style muffin at the moment with wholegrain flour (for slow burn) and quinoa (minerals and protein) for when I'm in a rush to meet the bunch! I don't like getting up early.

I've been sitting in my office watching snow out the window all day, dreaming of hot food, so I thought I would add a super-easy stew to the mix. It also works well as a soup if you blend it down and thin it a little with water, stock or milk. Again, I tend to just fling things till it looks right rather than have specific proportions - experimentation is fun!

Chorizo Veg Stew
    Couple cloves of Garlic
    1 large onion
    dash of olive oil
    lump of chorizo sausage, roughly cut into chunks
    several peppers, ideally red and yellow
    several potatoes, cut into large chunks
    6 - 10 large tomatoes, cut into chunk
    tin of chopped tomatoes, or tomato puree
    Veg stock (about a litre)

Method
    Fry off the garlic and chopped onion in the oil in a large saucepan
    Add the chopped peppers, 1/2 the chorizo, and the chopped tomatoes and gently fry for a couple of minutes until the peppers have started to soften
    Add the potatoes and fry for another couple of minutes
    Add the tomatoes, tinned tomatoes/puree, stock and the rest of the chorizo, cover and leave to simmer at a lowish temp until the potatoes have cooked through.

mmmm might have to go home and eat this now...

HAVE to have this book! Anyone tried their recipes yet? the portable stuff looks awesome!

Feed Zone Cookbook