Total Women's Cycling | The Most Popular Cycling Website For Women

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a 404 code

That page is either no longer available, or you've mistyped a URL. If you're certain the URL is correct, please e-mail us and let us know.

No route found for "GET /fm/nav-external/"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator Nat@JoyrideCycles's Avatar
    Lindsayd, I tried your amazing sounding no fat no sugar cake, but I must have made a mistake. The cake came out SO soggy! It was as if it needed about half the quantity of liquid. Now my little gas oven struggles a bit and often needs an extra 10 mins cooking time for recipes, but I left the cake in at least 30 mins longer and it still didn't cook through.

The only thing I changed was that I didn't have any wholemeal flour so I used all plain flour. Maybe plain flour isn't as absorbent?

If you have any ideas as to what went wrong I'd love to know as I really would like to make it again. Despite the sogginess the flavour was really nice!
    Instagram @bikeshopnat | Blog Joyride Cycles Bikeshopnat | Facebook Joyride Womens | Strava Nat@JoyrideCycles

Quote Originally Posted by Aoife View Post
    I've been sitting in my office watching snow out the window all day, dreaming of hot food, so I thought I would add a super-easy stew to the mix. It also works well as a soup if you blend it down and thin it a little with water, stock or milk. Again, I tend to just fling things till it looks right rather than have specific proportions - experimentation is fun!

Chorizo Veg Stew
    Couple cloves of Garlic
    1 large onion
    dash of olive oil
    lump of chorizo sausage, roughly cut into chunks
    several peppers, ideally red and yellow
    several potatoes, cut into large chunks
    6 - 10 large tomatoes, cut into chunk
    tin of chopped tomatoes, or tomato puree
    Veg stock (about a litre)

Method
    Fry off the garlic and chopped onion in the oil in a large saucepan
    Add the chopped peppers, 1/2 the chorizo, and the chopped tomatoes and gently fry for a couple of minutes until the peppers have started to soften
    Add the potatoes and fry for another couple of minutes
    Add the tomatoes, tinned tomatoes/puree, stock and the rest of the chorizo, cover and leave to simmer at a lowish temp until the potatoes have cooked through.

mmmm might have to go home and eat this now...
    Sounds awesome! I make this one from my Good Houskeeping recipe book sometimes. Love Chorizo http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/reci...ry-recipe-9458
    Instagram @bikeshopnat | Blog Joyride Cycles Bikeshopnat | Facebook Joyride Womens | Strava Nat@JoyrideCycles

Quote Originally Posted by Nat@JoyrideCycles View Post
    Lindsayd, I tried your amazing sounding no fat no sugar cake, but I must have made a mistake. The cake came out SO soggy! It was as if it needed about half the quantity of liquid. Now my little gas oven struggles a bit and often needs an extra 10 mins cooking time for recipes, but I left the cake in at least 30 mins longer and it still didn't cook through.

The only thing I changed was that I didn't have any wholemeal flour so I used all plain flour. Maybe plain flour isn't as absorbent?

If you have any ideas as to what went wrong I'd love to know as I really would like to make it again. Despite the sogginess the flavour was really nice!
    Hey Nat, oh no, sorry to hear it didnt work out!

It is a very moist cake - maybe it just needs even longer in the oven and a bit less less orange Juice / milk? I think you're right about the flours, maybe wholemeal soaks up more of the moisture. Sometimes I put a couple of handfuls of bran in too which might also help? I guess trial and error is the key if you can be bothered! Good luck! PS. I checked out the Feed Zone online too - it does look good! The portables would be great for on the bike.

Ok thanks, I'll try again with proper flour, less liquid and some bran! I think that would soak quite a bit up.

For those like them, beetroot brownies are amazing. They come out really moist and chocolately!

500g of beetroot, cooked
    100g unsalted butter
    200g plain chocolate, I often use half dark and have milk to make it richer in taste
    1tsp vanilla extract
    250g caster sugar
    3 eggs
    100g plain flour
    25g cocoa powder

1. Peel the beetroot and either put it in the microwave with a bit of water or boil it till it is tender. Although recently I have been buying pre-cooked beetroot to make it faster, then all you have to do is finely grate it. WEAR GLOVES! Otherwise you have purple hands for a week.

2. Melt chocolate and butter together with your vanilla extract. Whisk your sugar and eggs together before adding your flour and cocoa powder.

3. Combine the melted chocolate mixture with your beetroot then add this to your flour,sugar etc.

4. Tip into a lined baking tin and cook at 160C/gas 4 for about 25 mins.

I really like them but I've encountered a lot of people who aren't a fan of beetroot.

Khcolleran you've reminded me of another recipe I love to make, especially when I want to feel a little healthier, I make a banana loaf with no butter, instead I use stewed apples or apple sauce and the added bonus of only egg whites and can be done in one bowl.

200g plain flour
    100g caster sugar
    1 1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 egg whites
    3 bananas, preferably overripe or the ones than have been battered inside my bike bag on a day
    4 tbsp apple sauce

1. Mash the bananas in a bowl and add the egg whites and sugar and mix thoroughly.
    2. Add the rest of the ingredients and tip into a lined baking tin or loaf tin.
    3. Bake for about 50 mins at 180C.

I eat a low carb diet, so use my body fat as fuel when I'm on the bike. Ate chorizo and salted almonds when we did the C2C two years ago, but usually I eat a snack before I get on the bike and have protein after I get off. I'm moving onto a different phase of the diet so will be testing out oats in the next week or so. I'm one of those people with a really wonky relationship with food so find it impossible to control eating sugar and wheat makes me bloat, so don't think I'll ever be able to do cake

This is a great guilt-free recipe for flapjack type energy bars that have no added fat and sugar. With the vanilla and natural sugars from the dates they are still satisfyingly sweet and perfect for a healthy energy boost on the bike. Taken from Taste.com.au - my recipe haven!

3 large over ripe bananas
    3 cups rolled oats
    1/4 cup dried chopped dates
    1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
    1/4 cup slivered almonds
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    plus whatever you want to add. Chopped hazlenuts, poppyseed, linseed, sunflower seeds, cranberries, sultanas etc all work well. A bit pricey but I had some leftover cashews in the cupboard and they were delish in it!

1.Mix everything together and press down firmly into a 16x25cm rectangular tin greased and lined with baking paper.

2.Bake at 180 for 30 mins or until golden.

3.Allow to cool totally before cutting into slices.

4.Wrap up in clingfilm and slip them in your jersey pocket!

Hi ladies, just thought I would share my tea loaf recipe. It makes a good cycling snack because its packed with dried fruit, and it cuts into nice slices for wrapping in foil and putting in your pocket. It certainly gives me a good boost during a long ride :-) You can also use different teas, doesn't have to be earl grey. I have tried it with ginger tea, masala tea and normal tea, all with good results. http://www.cyclosally.com/2013/06/earl-grey-cake.html
    Twitter: @cyclosally
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/sallymcsorley

Launching the Total Women’s Cycling recipe collection

Hello everyone!
    There are some amazing recipes on here already, and we’d like to get even more and share them far and wide. We’re planning on featuring the wonderful home-made recipes you post on here on the main Total Women’s Cycling website.

From this post onward, we’ll regularly choose a selection of delicious offerings from those posted here to pop online.

What do I do?
    If you’d like to share your culinary delights and get your recipe featured on the site, then follow these steps.

1. Make sure you’re signed up to the Forum; you can register here; http://forums.totalwomenscycling.com/register.php?
    2. Write it out as a forum post using the format below
    3. Post it in the strand below http://forums.totalwomenscycling.com...ipes-and-meals
    4. We’ll regularly pick a selection to publish on the website, bringing you international fame – or at least the warm glow that comes from knowing women everywhere will be enjoying your cuisine

Remember:
    - Original recipes please! We’re looking for your take on soups and stews, your (not so) secret flapjack recipe, and your favourite homemade post-ride cake.
    - We’ll be attributing your recipe to your forum name; so don’t forget to make sure your forum profile is up to date.
    - We’ll put the guide format up in the forum too, so you have it to hand.

Recipe Format:
    Recipe title, and how many servings it makes
    Recipe Picture
    A nice high-resolution image of the completed recipe, looking as tasty as you can make it. A close-up displayed on a plain plate is best. We need the image to be at least 640 pixels wide by 340 pixels high if you can.
    Recipe description
    A quick paragraph that covers what this item is, why you like making it, and why it’s good for cycling
    Ingredients list
    Quantity or weight, item, and preparation eg grated, finely chopped, sieved
    Method
    A step-by-step guide to making the recipe, including times and oven temperatures
    Hints and tips
    Any additional useful bits of information

Thanks, everyone!

Aoife
    Deputy Editor
    Total Women’s Cycling
    www.totalwomenscycling.com
    Last edited by Aoife; 22-08-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Cake Stops are definitely one of the biggest perks of cycling...here's my favourite flapjack recipe...(sorry can't seem to add a photo!)

Recipe title – Old School BeRo flapjacks. Can be cut into 9 squares in an 8 inch tray.
    Recipe description
    A trusty flapjack recipe, slightly amended from an old BeRo recipe book my mum used when I was growing up. These bad boys got me through the RideLondon100….And the Dunwich Dynamo this year. They freeze well too.
    Ingredients list
    100g butter
    1tbsp golden syrup
    100g sugar
    50g oats
    50g self raising flour
    50g granola
    Method
    heat oven to 190c or gas mark 5 - grease a baking tray (I’d suggest using greaseproof paper too)
    Measure out dry ingredients and mix well together
    Melt the butter and the syrup in medium-large pan.
    Tip dry ingredients into pan with melted butter and marg
    Once fully mixed, transfer to baking tray
    Cook for about 15 – 20 mins until golden*

Hints and tips
    *don’t be scared when you take it out of the oven and it is bubbly away and has risen up…it returns to normal when it has cooled down.
    Cut into squares while still warm
    You can add extras like raisins or nuts. I tend to use a nutty blend of granola. The original recipe calls for crushed cornflakes rather than granola – either works.