Total Women's Cycling | The Most Popular Cycling Website For Women

Oops! An Error Occurred

The server returned a 404 code

That page is either no longer available, or you've mistyped a URL. If you're certain the URL is correct, please e-mail us and let us know.

No route found for "GET /fm/nav-external/"

Injury recovery - any tips?

With astoundingly bad timing, I have just broken my collar bone. This obviously writes off the wonderful Total Women's Cycling mountain bike outing on Sunday that I have been looking forward too forever, but also a coaching weekend, and a couple of other things.

I'm determined to do anything and everything I can (so long as its evidence based!) to get back on the saddle, and also to try and not loose too much fitness while I'm not riding.

Can anyone suggest anything in terms of food, exercise, treatment, useful online reading, etc etc?

You can ride as pain allows....turbo is probably better as no crashing or juddering....what a shame for you, my nearly 2 yr old son has done the same as you and 3 weeks in he is moving like he has done nothing so good luck

Super Moderator Nat@JoyrideCycles's Avatar
    When my husband did his, he found that swimming was really helpful. He was able to exercise while the water took his weight and didn't put any strain on the collarbone. He was right after about a month so fingers crossed you heal up soon!
    Instagram @bikeshopnat | Blog Joyride Cycles Bikeshopnat | Facebook Joyride Womens | Strava Nat@JoyrideCycles

You have my fullest sympathy: I broke the proximal head of humerus, yep right arm, after the the bike lost it on black ice back in December.. It was treated conservatively with a collar and cuff; for which I am grateful, professional opinions since suggest recovery from surgery isn't always straight forward. Albeit, every case is different.

Be assured that your background fitness as a cyclist will assist your recovery!

Pain wise, for me, the first ten days were worst; as far as possible I also avoided the non-steroidals as there is good evidence they impair bone healing; though did take the maximum allowed of all other painkillers!
    With plenty of time to spare I researched endlessly and designed the following regime; whilst some of the treatment ideas might sound wacky. My degree was in Pharmacology so I embarked on it with a fair amount of scepticism.
    Nutrition: I took supplements for bone health containing horsetail and boron, to boost my reserves. Nettle tea is also reported to be beneficial so is fresh Pineapple which I ate daily.
    Topically: rubbed the arm and fracture area with Arnica cream to relieve the swelling and Macerated Oil of Comfrey, which is said to accelerate bone healing.
    Osteopathy: began weekly visits to a trusted Osteopath. Initially her gentle treatments concentrated on working away from the fractured area for postural alignment, the sessions now are more vigorous.
    Hospital Physio: hmm, there was little they could do in a 15 minute session, however they were knowledgeable and the exercises were helpful, firstly demonstrated with 'homework' on a printed sheet.
    From the third week I used the spa pool at our gym to perform the exercises. The heated water did assist greatly.
    At eight weeks I started back at spin classes though had to avoid using the affected arm for the first handful of sessions. If your gym has recumbent bikes you could start on those quite soon. Ohh and I walked everywhere. If I could get there in an hour then off I went.
    Sorry, a bit of an essay, but good luck

Wow - some brilliant advice there! Thank you!

I'm on the recumbent bikes, and I'm trying to do stretching etc. I'm holding myself a bit funny so I'm getting a bit of lower back pain. The swimming is a great idea, Nat, cheers for that! Crisaz - wow, painful, yours sounds waaay worse than mine your poor thing! Thank you for sharing your research and experience - I'll give those a go too!

I can wait to get back on a bike

Oh Aoife, I am so sorry to hear this, what a pain (quite literally) I hope you mend quickly x
    Twitter: @cyclosally
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/sallymcsorley

PS. did you do it cycling?
    Twitter: @cyclosally
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/sallymcsorley

Some injuries rest for long. It is not able to disappear. But massaging will help to recover this and will help you to forget those marks.

Don't eat fast foods. Eat only healthy foods.