Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nutrition

Porridge works brilliantly an hour or so before a ride, I have found i perform better on porridge than other breakfast meals. i normally just eat cereal bars during a ride but think i will try and experiment with other things after reading the above. once i finish a long ride I always have milkshake. I am not a fan of chocolate milk so always go for banana or strawberry. I have read chocolate milk is meant to better than most sports recovery drinks, does anyone know if the same applies to banana or strawberry? is it something about the chocolate content? banana shakes still have a good mix of carbs and protein so am hoping the result is the same.
    Twitter: @cyclosally
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/sallymcsorley

I used to ignore nutrition a lot before cycling, but now I realise its super important. Yesterday, I was late for my ride so had two crumpets before I left the house instead of my usual porridge. Big mistake! 15 miles into my ride and I felt awful and out of energy - so I will be avoiding the highly processed carbs in the future. What really sorted me out yesterday was my banana and home made muesli bar which is full of nuts, fruits and seeds. I do like the Nakd bars as well - they contain a lot of energy and taste lovely. They're also incredibly slim so you can pop a couple of them in your Jersey pockets.

I was reading on the British Cycling website about this subject and they say that over-fuelling is as bad as under fuelling - you probably only need 20g-60g of carbs per hour depending on your effort levels. I probably over-fuelled by shovelling in a banana and muesli bar on top of each other

It's all trial and error though and I think you just have to discover what is right for your body

It definitely is a bit of trial and error isn't it, and I guess everyone is different too. I realised recently that I was probably focusing too much on carbs and getting the right nutrition for stamina etc.. And that I was probably not getting enough protein, which is essential for muscle repair and general improvement. Does anyone else try and eat lots of protein, and has it helped? I increased my protein intake a few weeks ago so that i was getting around 80-90g per day and my body seems to not like it much! My stomach has felt bloated and uncomfortable on a regular basis since :-( Normally I would probably get around 50g protein a day I guess, sometimes more, but the increase seems to have upset my digestion! :-(

Hi I'm new to this site as just discovered it in trying to get what information I can for training, I'm doing the RideLondon100 in August, so really trying to get what tips I can to reach the level of fitness required. My furthest ride so far is 30 miles and I had about 3 High 5 Gels which were palatable and a box of pineapple that I took with me (thank goodness) I hadn't really planned on 30 m but just sort of ended up going a long way. I am seriously struggling with hills though and I know I have to go up Box Hill so stressing a bit about that, and also plagued by rotten cold this past couple of weeks. All your advice about nutrition is very helpful though so thank you from me as well.

Welcome Kas Well done on getting into the Ride London 100. You will be fine with plenty of training. There is another thread on hill climbs in the forum, which you have prob read already, but worth a read if not. The more hills you do, the better you will become. Good luck with all the training!

Thank you, I didn't get through the ballot but got a charity place for Breast Cancer Care, I applied after the loss of a close friend last year. I'll have a look for the hill climbs one, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Jam sandwiches also have the advantage of having the best Calories-to-money ratio ever!
    Jam sandwiches = courier food. I would do my 10 (ish) hours riding around 30-50 miles a day in traffic and all weather powered by a couple of kitkat chunkies or supermarket ownbrand equivalent and a couple of (squashed) jam sandwiches. Plus a good breakfast of 4 rounds of toast and eggs and mushrooms or a big bowl or porridge and banana. Dinner was superhuman sized.

Bananas, are good. If you like the high sugar and caffiene hit of those gels and silly expensive things then take a packet of haribo and have a mid ride coffee. Job done. The most important thing is before and after, you body has many contingencies that make you able to keep on going even if you feel tired and your legs hurt. This is what your glycogen and fat stores are for so you need to keep them replenished before and after your ride.

I have more trouble in the heat (especially here in Oz). As I can't afford expensive electrolyte replacing tabs I just drink water on the ride and have some nice salty energy giving nuts as a snack. Coconut water is a great natural replacer of electrolytes (even if its a little wierd tasting) and you can replace the minerals and ions lost through sweating in your food rather than than in a sports drink. Check the nutritional values of what you are eating, foods high in potassium, calcium, and magnesium are all good as well as sodium (salt).

I have never experienced the funny tummy due to gels but the reason for this is that your gut can only absorb a finite amount of sugar per hour. If you scoff down a couple of gels you may exceed this and it will get "ignored" by your gut. All those friendly and less friendly bacteria get to eat it instead causing imbalances and upsets. Plus loads of sugar and water slooshing round on a empty tummy is not the most pleasant feeling anyway

Jelly babies and fig rolls - both are great for energy alongside the customary banana feasting

I've just started riding and only done 21 miles as my furthest distance, but my other half rides a lot and swears by them!

I am a novice at cycling but a world champion dieter. I've been doing low carb for the last few years - alright, I cheat - so I'm interested in riding without carbs. I did the whole of the C2C on salted almonds and mini chorizos. I was really encouraged by this article which advocates going out riding before breakfast to get your body trained to burn your fat reserves.
    http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/fitn...part-five.html. I think this is saying that fuelling up with sugar is not as good as using your fat reserves.