Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calling all commuters!!

Hi Ladies!
    I am a fashion designer with a wardrobe dilemma.. I cycle to work and I want to look good when I get there so I am developing some jackets to satisfy my own needs. Please do get in touch if you would be interested in helping me understand anything I might be missing in terms of functionality etc. Do you have a favourite outfit for the ride to work? I would love to know what your thoughts and feelings are. Also if you have any favourite things or brands???
    I can't find anything I like which already exisits so if you can help point me in the right direction I will make some to sell, not just or myself...
    Hope you can help - THANKS!!

Hi Claire,
    I'm a bike commuter - every day whatever the weather for the past 18 months now. I wear a uniform to work (the clue is in my user name!) so I'm not sure I can help much with smart commuting clothes. For work travel I wear a breathable base layer and shorts or 3/4 cycle specific bottoms in summer and full waterproof and reflective (Altura) cycle specific jacket and trousers in winter. I do, however, like to bike in my normal clothes on my days off just to get around - into town or to the shops - and I like stuff that looks as non-cycling as possible. Leggings or thick opaque tights in wnter and 3/4 leggings in summer are a godsend and I wear these all the time under ordinary skirts and dresses. I tend not to wear a cycling jacket for these trips if it's raining as I just want to look ordinary when I get off the bike and look different from when I'm going to work so I have a lovely Bobbin waxed cotton poncho (and plain black overtrousers if it's really wet).

"Smart" cycling brands I like are Ana Nichoola ( I have the café jersey dress and would love her yellow tailored rain jacket), Union 34 (nice trousers with a subtle reflective strip) and Vulpine (I'm definitely getting a merino jersey for the spring). You may already know about this but check out Momentum magazine online - it's an American cycling magazine with the emphasis on transport cycling and there seem to be a lot of American manufactures catering to this market.

Hi Clare, I have the same dilema! I commute to work as much as I can and its a 10 mile mainly of road trip each way. The issue I have is that, as an Educational Psychologist, I have to visit schools during the day frequently and I have to look presentable when I get there. I'm not sure if you are going beyond jackets but I'd be interested in reasonably priced rucksacks which can look smart off the bike and have a good, slightly larger than A4 capacity; some magical way to protect my hair from rain; thick tights which do not have logos on, maybe with removable reflective patches; a jacket which is waterproof and covers by bum, maybe that has a cover which could be romoved at the back to protect from mud and again, maybe removable reflective patches but probably in a dark colour (jacket not reflectors). Again, I think logos can be an issue as I'd like it to look as non bikey as possible (much as I love my bike, not everyone thinks its a great first impression). Good luck with the project!!!!

I have been commuting all winter in my Ana Nichoola Hello Yellow jacket and I love it. It's stylish and visible and I love the long drop tail which ends up filthy from the road dirt and puddles but my clothes are protected. It's got generous rear pockets but since I wear a back pack I would love it even more if it had a zipped side or chest pocket for my keys and phone.

Hi Ladies! So I have been very busy, hence the slow reply
    Thanks so much for your ideas and comments...
    You can check out my initial website and pre order the first jacket here, www.nosuchthing.clothing
    Please do let me know what you think and sign up to the news letter to be kept in the loop!
    Next challenge for myself is a good looking waterproof trouser,
    thanks
    Clare

Just had a look, I love it, just what I was hoping for! Since I've just ordered a new commute bike, it will have to wait till next month but I will be ordering! Congratulations!

Thanks Amelia! Watch this space... I have been looking into commuting cities in the UK and I never realised how many of you guys are riding to work in Newcastle (I used to live in Middlesbrough), well done the lot of you! There may be a little wait for the first big run of production but I have some cloth in stock so I am hoping to make up the first orders from this and then move on from there.
    You can contact me on clare@nosuchthing.clothing if you want to ask anything,
    Cx

Well done Clare, your range is just what I've been looking for, I will be pre-ordering your jacket. We need more 'normal' looking clothes to wear when riding our bikes to the office or bar.

I really like the style of your jacket, i have been wearing soft shells during the fall and (no kidding) a ski jacket and ski trousers during winter...

I've said before on this forum somewhere that the jeans you can buy from Freddie's of Pinewood are actually really good for cycling. They're 1950s style so they're high waisted, which means you won't flash your pants on your bike! So yeah, high waisted is the way forward for cycling in normal clothes. They're also, depending on style, quite wide in the leg so are flatter for those of you with cyclists thighs and calves, or if you just have a generous bum, like me! :-)