Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Female maintenance!

OK. I'm just going to go right ahead and put this out there...

I'm very new to bikes; I only learnt to ride 2 years ago at 27! My first bike was a hybrid and have recently bought a mountain which I'm loving! I did, what I consider, to be my first proper ride over the weekend in the Peak District and it was great. I haven't suffered from any sort of aches and pains other than an issue which I am wondering if shaving/waxing would solve... and I don't mean my legs!

Is this something that is generally an issue for women? Is it better to keep things short and tidy other than au naturelle? Or is it something that you just deal with...?

Welcome to the world of padded shorts, women specific saddles, chamois cream and a preoccupation with how things are down "there"

I'm not sure what others do but I tend to use depilatory cream and trimming and find this works better for me than waxing/shaving but I definitely advocate avoiding any hair removal within 24-48 hours or so of a long ride to remain more comfortable. I'd recommend the best quality padded shorts you can afford (hate to say it but I prefer Rapha by far) and getting the correct saddle for your shape is also vital - have you got a women specific saddle?

There is an interesting new little book and website dedicated to female cyclists nether regions (!) which you may find useful:

http://saddlesorewomen.com/

Good luck!

Yes, I have a saddle. Only the one that came with the bike though, nothing fancy. Had a look at that website, looks useful! I have some padded shorts which seem to be working ok as my bum area is fine, it's just the rubbing! I'm going to go for having a trim and see if that improves things! Thanks for the advice!

Difficult to answer without knowing a little more about the problem; padded shorts, keep area clean, change out of shorts asap after a ride, consider position... which parts are in contact with the saddle etc.... oh and no knickers with padded shorts....

I think I have a question along the same lines! My problem is after shaving down there after a day or two when it starts growing again well it rubs on my padded shorts and gets sore! Does waxing get rid of the stubbly problems or would it just feel the same? Maybe hair remival cream? If anyone has had this predicament it would be great to hear your thoughts!

Trim it using a beard trimmer, I usually go rather short. Taking it all off may cause more irritation. Rinse well after.
    I depilate to tidy the shape, and try to leave a day or so between doing that and long rides. Tea tree oil on irritated follicles.

ALWAYS get out of your shorts ASAP after a ride, and shower/pee too. If this isn't possible, carry some Huggies baby wipes (v gentle) in a small sandwich bag and clean the worst of the sweat away. If you don't have that, wet loo roll.

Spray the pad with white vinegar and leave to soak before you wash. Wash them inside out. I use non-bio (I'm slightly sensitive down there and bio gives me symptoms similar to combined thrush and cystitis). I also add Halo Sports Wash if my other clothes are a bit stinky. Take your clothes out and dry ASAP. I had a nasty UTI/kidney infection last year after I wore clothes which I hadn't dried properly.

Unlike most recommendations, I still wear a cotton string under my shorts. It's tiny though, also gets the vinegar treatment. I get lectures from my friends about needing to go knickerless, but this works for me, and is useful protection for the shorts at that time of the month.

It's not a disaster if you really need to ride shortly after a waxing. Just keep clean, and expect a little more irritation than normal.

Consider saddle position. If the nose is just a touch too high it can cause irritation. Also chamois cream...not anything oil based. It must be water soluble and should not contain menthol. Put is where it hurts before you ride and use plenty.

Try one thing at a time so you know what works for you but most importantly keep searching. You should be able to be comfortable.

This is all great advice! Thanks all.

Especially for this kind of sports, Many companies are introducing various safety equipments and apparels for women in these ridings. Those are safe and available at best quality.

As for me I prefer sugaring. very fast and any problems. Hair doesn't grow more then two weeks.